David Gilliland deceased Feb 2019

Posted: 14/2/2019

Interim Notice: The Committee are sad to annouce the passing of esteemed friend and founder member of the NIHGC.

We extend our sympathies and condolences to the family circle.

David was the owner of Brook Hall ArboretumBrook Hall, together with the Arboretum and walled garden, is set in a Woodland Park, which faces South East. The ground slopes down to the swiftly flowing River Foyle some two miles downstream from the City of Derry. In the 18th and 19th Centuries, large sailing ships departed from Derry carrying Irish immigrants to the New World, returning, weather permitting, laden with grain or timber. During the famous Siege of Derry in 1689, Brook Hall was the headquarters for King James' Army and the house was occupied by the Duke of Berwick who commanded the King's army. The original house was replaced about 1780, by an elegant Villa on an elevated site to the North of the original house. Extensive planting and landscaping took place at that time. Trees planted where mainly Oak (Quercus robur and Quercus petraea), Beech (Fagus sylvatica), Spanish Chestnut (Castanea sativa), Lime (Tilia x europea), Sycamore (Acer pseudoplatinus) and included a particularly fine "Lime Avenue" just above the walled garden.

The new house was altered about 1816 when the balcony was added and it took on its appearance of a Regency Villa.The House and demesne was purchased by Samuel Gilliland in 1852 and is still in the ownership of the Gilliland family.

Obituary to follow.

Back to News